Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT availability - statistics/survey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfp

MIS
Oct 25, 1999
GB
Visit site
Does anyone have any existing metrics on 'typical' NT4 Server availability or any numbers relating to their own experience that I can use to build some stats?<br>
<br>
If y'all e-mail me with your experience, I'll post the average back. It would help if you could indicate size of infrastructure, e.g. 1-200,201-1000,1001+ workstations on the network<br>
<br>
(Anyone saying 99.9% works for ms)

Didn't see an e-mail address in your post or in your Personal Profile...<br>
<br>
Anyways, I'm sure this has already been done by some independent market research group. Hopefully someone can just post the URL here so we can all see it....<br>
<br>
If you don't find an existing report on the net, for what it's worth, we run one NT 4 box running for about 1 1/2 years that has been up 99.5% of the time. And no, I don't work for Microsoft. We just use their products. :)<br>
<br>
Ghost<br>

Dooh! my e-mail is <A HREF="mailto:philip.perry@prudential.co.uk">philip.perry@prudential.co.uk</A> or <A HREF="mailto:philip.perry@cableol.co.uk">philip.perry@cableol.co.uk</A> <p> Phil Perry<br><a href=mailto: philip.perry@prudential.co.uk> philip.perry@prudential.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have 5 NT Servers. One was down for 20 minutes last year due to a dead IDE drive (outside office hours). Other than that, uptime is 4 years each.<br>
<br>
That includes running SQL Server 6.5, Exchange for 100 users including Macintosh clients, heavy access by PC and Mac users and the minor issue of users with low levels of skill...<br>
<br>
We also have 3 other Mac servers and a Linux box. The NT Servers have better up time than the Macs, but Linux wins day - cos it's cheaper and its still a mystery to me!

In my experience, our NT servers crash from hardware failures or 3rd party software. The NT itself is very stable. My main server problems have been from memory leakage in Compaq Insight drivers or HP printer drivers putting in extra @#$@^%&%$%^ print monitors. Even with those, our server availabitlty is well over 99%. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back