Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT and modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMcG

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2000
IE
I have a P120 with NT freshly installed. I am setting this box up to use as a dial in for our network. I have been trying to install a modem no it for the past few days with no luck.<br><br>Firstly NT wont detect it. I have tried removing com ports, adding com ports, changing my bios settings. The event log says there is no probs with it, but it just wont work!<br><br>The make and model of the modem is a Aztech MS5000 (europe), but I have tried it also with a connexxant (SP) too and no joy.<br><br>Has anyone came across simalar probs with&nbsp;&nbsp;nt?<br><br>Can anybody help me?<br><br><br>Thanks in advance.

Are these modems internal or external?<br><br>I have had problems with internal modems. Try installing the drivers for them and make sure the drivers are built for NT. <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

It was an internal modem, but now it is external because I threw it out the window.<br><br>I found an old external hayes and it was detected and worked first time.<br><br>I think it may have been a winmodem, there are a lot modems lying aroung here in work, all of them in the wrong boxes with no manuals etc.<br><br>Thanks for the help anyway.<br>

Don't through the modems out, they probably work fine with win98, or even linux. I wouldn't use them for NT! If you can't make head nor tail about what kind they are you may consider donating them to a local computer user group.<br><br> <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

When it comes to NT, cough up the couple extra bucks and get a 3com/USR (Hayes no longer exists). The extra money is worth the time and aggravation spent. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back