Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4 WKS Dell Optiplex Install error: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsgko

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
US
I'm trying to install NT 4 on Dell Optiplex 160L. After I put in the second boot disk, I get a STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. When I try to run the setup from the CD it can't find the hard drive.

I also found a website that says this is a drive controller driver issue. I'm trying to figure out who the drive controller manufacturer is so that I can get the drive but I don't see a chip on the motherboard for it.

Anyone know how to get around this (generic drive controller) or what drive controller is on this machine?

If its a standard IDE drive, it would be unusual for NT to fall over like this. I'd suspect there's either a problem with the drive or perhaps some other hardware.

Is there any history about this machine - eg, was there another o/s installed and did it have problems?

If it did, you need to eliminate the hardware causing the problem.

Please post back if you need more.

I don't think there is a hardware problem. I've had XP running on the machine perfectly for several months.

The install gets to the point where it shows the blue screen and says how much memory the system has and then crashes and does a memory dump.

Is there any other information from the memory dump that would be useful?

It sure sounds like a hardware problem to me too.

Have you created another set of boot disks to rule that out?

If you go into your CMOS setup on the Dell, do you see the hard disk present? If there is an option to redetect the drive, run it and see if it still comes up.

If the drive is still showing, you might throw another drive in to see if it goes away. If it doesn't, then it probably is a problem with the controller. You might try an ide pci controller card before you start looking at that mainboard. I suppose it could also be memory or cpu, but not as likely with the message you are getting.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Actually I found a solution. I needed to boot off of the CD and then the floppy drive was not recongized by NT until service pack 6 was installed. I read some stuff that talked something about bios drive swapping which caused the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back