Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4/W2K Trust issue with WINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bworley

MIS
Mar 26, 2002
US
We have set up a two-way trust between a Windows NT4 network and a W2K active directory network. We already have one site connected this way, so we felt this would be relatively painless to do. Well, once the trust was established we set up WINS replication between the two sites (as we had done with our other site). Once WINS began replicated, if a user on the W2K domain logged off, then they could not log back on to the domain. Immediately before the login screen on their W2K Prof machines comes up a message displays saying something like "The same name is already present on the network". Unfortunately, this is a translation from German (this site is in Germany), so I'm not positive on the exact translation of the message.
Has anyone had this problem before? We didn't have it with our other site (which, by the way, was a connection with Argentina...different language also).
BIG NOTE: As soon as we stopped the WINS replication, the error message went away and the W2K Prof machines could connect to the network.

Any ideas?

Open the WINS Manager on each of the WINS servers and look up that machines NETBIOS name, sounds like you have at least two machines with the same NETBIOS name.

I will check that. The only thing is that this is happening on most all of the workstations on the W2K domain. Where do you think the duplicates (if there are any) would be coming from?

Thanks.

This is still a problem. There were no duplicate entries in the WINS. Another piece of information I've learned is that our site that is connected and working fine is running W2K without active directory. This site that is having the potential WINS problem IS running active directory. Unfortunately, I have not worked with active directory to know whether this could have issues replicating WINS with an NT4 domain. Does anybody know of any issues?

Thanks for any help. Still searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back