Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4 Permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

msy

Technical User
Aug 12, 2003
AU
Hi All
I have a NT 4 server. I'm tring to setup a folder called "submit" inside "Staff Work" folder in a NTFS volume ,so Staff group can Save into that folder BUT NOT delete files. All the home directories for the staff is inside the "Staff work" folder. This folder has "Read" permission for the staff group.i have setup "submit" folder to have special permission, File access-RWX and Directory access - RWX.

"Staff work" - staff group has (R) access
"Submit" (inside the "staff work") - staff group has special File access (rwx) and Directory access (RWX)

problem....

When users from Staff Group try to save a documents to this "submit" folder, they get a error stating this folder is read only. I have check the folder properties, but it is not set as "Read Only"

If i change the NTFS permission to "Change" or "Full Control" or "special file access permssion-(rwxd)", users can save thire work.

But i need the permission to be set,so no one in the staff group can not delete files in the "submit" folder.

could anyone pls help?.

hi rdroske,

I have tried "Add & read" permission, still the same result.

thx

Are you replacing on all sub-folders and files when you change? (check on the file level to see)

If so it is probably something like you have to give them full access under regular permission and then limit to read/add under NTFS (the most restrictive permissions take precedence I believe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back