Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4, needs rebooting after emptying recycle bin? /Slow running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmStrike

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
GB
We have an NT 4 server, running approx 35 pc (win 95/98) and about 8 Macs.

Now the problem we have is that every time our editorial team(yes, publishing, pictures and images type thing type thing) deleats stuff (all mac files), our server just grinds to a halt, and needs rebooting and I have to reboot 3 times in a row, before it will scandisk, and empty any trash folders.

I have tried deleting this stuff straight from the server, but it just means I have to reboot 3 days later instead.

I am well aware that this is not an ideal situation, and that a separate mav server would be better, but does anyone have any ideas how I can help aleviate this problem a bit, or any ideas on halping a server run a bit quicker anyway?
Regards
Rob

Ummm...Shouldn't be having any problems with the MACS using the NT server as a file server. U R running SP6a on the NT server I presume?
Is your disk capacity on the server OK....Not too full?
JB

Yes I think it is SP6 certainly, though, I am not sure where to look precicely to find out?

As for the disc space, I think this is the problem as we are constantly running out of space hence the need do delete stuff.

Would upgrading/adding another hard disk improve the performance, or while I have the boss clearing out his butterflies, is there something else to upgrade that would make a noticeable difference to our network?

If anyone could point me to somwhere to get the lowdown on the upgrade thing, that would certainly be a bonus, as I am only bearly 6 months down the line and thrown in the deepend here in the IT world, I'm a guitar tech by trade, not really an IT man. But a fix is a fix.

Regards
Rob

Hello,

To find out what SP you are running and various other info; go to start, run and type in WINMSD.

Make sure you are using SCSI drives and have plenty of RAM. If your data is precious to your company then I would advise a RAID 5 configuration which needs at least 3 drives and a hardware controller for optimum results.

You should have at least 2 partitions on your server, C,D. Leave C for server programs and system resources. Use D for user data.

Hope this helps.

jono

If files are added and deleted regularly, you may want to invest in a defrag utility (Diskeeper comes to mind) and have it run nightly on the server. That should restore at least some performance dealing with file write/delete operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back