Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4 Domain with a Win2k VPN SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

bironhead

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
US
I am in the tesing phase of setting up VPN access for a company. I will put a 2000 server on the outside of a firewall and allow traffic through a port and then come into the company domain. Right now the firewall is out of the picture. I have set up the trust between the NT and Win2k Domains. Note the NT 4 Domain is the companies Domain and the Win2k is a lone win2k Domain Comtroller. I can verify the trust in the Trusted Domains snap in on win2k. And the Win2k domain is added into the 2 trusted domains fields in the User Manager for domains under the policies and trusted domains. Here is the problem.... I take a user and have then login to the VPN domain. Every time I connect to a computer in the NTDOMAIN I have to enter the NTDOMAIN\USER and then password to look at the resource. Then I tried to log on to the VPN as the user name with the NTDOMAIN\USER and the password. Again I can connect to the VPN server, but everytime I connect to a doain resource I must enter the NTDOMAIN\USER and the password to look at the computer\resource. Any help would be......Helpful.

PS The same thing happens if I join the Win2k Server into the DT4 Domain

I think this is not a VPN issue, but a trust issue...
Maybe you should consider creating a user in both Win2K and NT4 (use the same username & password in both domains and try again)
If this works, then you will have to allow the Win2K users access to the NT4 resources
(Place your Win2K users in your NT4 groups to allow access) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back