Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4 BDC Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosie2

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
US
Currently I have a NT 4.0 server that is a BDC on our network. I am wanting to upgrade the hard disk drives on this server and also upgrade to Windows 2000 as a stand alone server. (I already have another BDC server setup) When I do this upgrade I had planned on using the same server name and IP address. Does anyone know if I am going to run into problems by doing this? Are there steps in Server Manager I have to do so everything does not get confused? or should I use a unique server name and IP address? Thanks.

Hoosie2,

Well, I would make sure that you delete the BDC being upgraded from the server manager before trying to readd it to the domain. I don't think the IP address will be a problem.

However, I personally, like to name my servers in a way that reflect their role and/or OS when running in a mixed environment. This helps with training and helps remind me and my associates about the services and capabilities of the particular server we're attaching/logging onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back