Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4 and IE4.01

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteadDu

MIS
Nov 15, 1999
GB
An interesting one......I create 2 users on a laptop, one for logging on to our Domain and another for the local machine when the user is away from the office. On the Domain account I set the connection in IE to our proxy. On the local I set the connection to use a modem. RAS etc is installed. This should work fine as there are 2 different profiles. Well.....<br>
<br>
Recently this has not been the case. The one setting seems to overide the other. So if I set up the Domain user to use proxy it carries this setting over to the local user and visa versa. Any thoughts ?????

Are you using the same ID string for the local and domain IDs? Your users could be confusing what they are logging in to. We don't use local IDs for anything, only domain ID's. However, we allow web access through our proxy to RASed users as well as networked ones, so that's not an issue. Our users RAS in before trying to hit the web. If you have to use a local ID I would at least make sure it's different from the domain one. Ex. &quot;steaddu&quot; for the domain and &quot;olsteaddu&quot; for offline use.

No the local Domain ID is different to to Domain one and also on the local Domain ID we are using RAS through a commercial ISP and not our own. As I understand it NT sees each account as a different ID and creates a profile for each so even if I used SteadDu on the Domain and SteadDu local there would be a SteadDu and SteadDu.000 in Winnt/Profiles.

You're right, NT does see everything as a separate profile. My point about the two strings was that users can confuse whether they are logging in to a domain or a machine if they're not different. <br>
<br>
In looking through my registry I only saw proxy settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER except for one key in LOCAL_MACHINE that seemed to define how the dialog box functions. This would leave you to assume that the settings should be completely isolated between profiles.<br>
<br>
Are you using system policies or profiles? Maybe something is migrating that way. Otherwise I would suggest the obvious of making sure you have SP5 on your NT and IE 4.01 SP1 or better. If you're on IE5 there is a IE 5.1 out now. Can't suggest much more at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back