Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 to Windows 2003 Migration questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsloth

Programmer
Oct 27, 2003
US
I work for a mid-sized law firm (about 80 users), and we are currently running in an NT 4.0 environment. The plan is to upgrade to 2003 sometime in the next few months. I am seeking advise on the migration strategy, specifically in regards to what new hardware needs to be purchased, and the way in which is the best\safest way to do this. First of all, let me list what I have in the way of servers:

1-Dell Power Edge 4400, OS is NT 4.0; this is the PDC, file & print server. It's about 4-5 years old, so while not ready for the junk heap, it will probably be relegated to a less critical role on the migration is done.

2-Dell Power Edge 4600, OS is W2K Server, and it's running Exchange 5.5. This server is about 2 years old.

3-Compaq Proliant 800, OS in NT 4.0; this is a 4-5 year old server, and it serves the role of BDC, VPN, and has a few database applications running on it.

4-Clone running W2K Server. This is basically a semi high-end workstation that runs Backup Exec & is also a depository for any images scanned of any of the 3 networked scanners we have. It tends to reboot itself on occasion, so I'm reluctant to give it any high level responsibilities.

Ok, so here's what I do know. The best fool proof method is to take the PDC off-line, then promote the BDC to PDC to begin the migration. So, that basically means I need a new server that will be a W2003 AD controller. I also know that Exchange 2003 cannot run of W2000, and also that Exchange 5.5 can't run on W2003, so it would appear that I also need another new server that I would use to install Exchange\Windows 2003, yes? So, my question here is this: Is there any way around not having to purchase 2 new servers? Once I had the 2 new servers up & running, then I will have 2 older servers that I can use for whatever I want to. I will retire the Compaq, so one the servers would fill that role, but then I have 1 extra server, and I don't even know if I will be able to use it.

Also, and suggestions as to the order of migration steps to follow that are applicable to my particualr scenario would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brett

You have a fairly good idea on what you need to do but you have one important thing wrong. Exchange 2003 CAN run on Windows 2000. Exchange 2003 is the ONLY version of Exchange that can run on Windows 2003.

So, you could upgrade your 5.5 to 2003 on a Win2K box and later decide to upgrade the OS to Windows 2003.

You will need to upgrade any installations of ADC to the ADC that ships with Exchange 2003.

My suggestion to you however, with only 80 users would be to take another path. I would set up the new server as part of a new AD domain. Use ADMT to get your users into the new domain or simply create them with a vbscript and Excel spreadsheet. (I can give you code to do this if you need it). Use Exmerge to export all of your mailboxes and then import them into the new domain. The only thing I see here as a problem is deciding what server you can relaod as the new Exchange Server. Anything that is 4-5 years old is going to be slow.

By doing what I suggest, you will have a full fallback strategy since the original network is intact.

If you go the route you were talking about (which is a totally valid way to do it) then you will be upgrading existing installs of NT4 and I personally don't like that. In cases where I have had to do this to preserve the existing domain, I introduced a new NT4 BDC with a clean load. THis was a swing server (temporary). I upgraded it (we just used a workstation loaded with NT Server) and then joined my new server as a Win2K3 server and ran DCPROMO. Once the new server is up and running as a DC, you can transfer the FSMO roles to it and permanently down the swing server. This is a much problematic way of doing it in my experience.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back