Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 Server and Win2K problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDoug

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2002
US
I have a server environment that uses a PDC and BDC that are both NT 4.0 Server and I am attempting to put new W2K workstations out on the network. My problem lies in the fact that unless I give the user Domain Admin priveleges, they cannot run most applications from the workstation. They get error messages about permissions or the apps just hang (I assume because they are trying to write/read/modify folders they don't have permission to). If I logon (Domain Admin/Administrator priv's) apps run fine for me. I want users to be able to logon to the domain and use these machines to run apps, but I am having one hell of a time getting this to work. Any ideas or suggestions for me to try. My ultimate goal is to get this "new" base machine set and then image it for enterprise deployment.

Eudora Pro 4.2 and SCT Banner to name two.

Have you tried giving them power user rights locally?

I haven't tried that but will. I was hoping to come up with a solution that would not require any techs altering the workstation after deploying the image. Maybe that's not possible.

If nothing else, add the everyone group to the power users group before deploying. You could also try messing with the registry entries and program folders security and see if that makes a difference. I have a few programs we use that the user needs admin right son the registry entry for it to work. I have also noticed that some Office 2000 features do not work without power user rights, just a heads up.

I have had similar problems with legacy apps. I have found that I can avoid the problems by first logging on to the PC as domain admin and tossing the user into the local Administrators group. I then log on as the user and install and run all of the legacy apps. When done, just remove the user from the local admin group and everything seems to work just fine. A+, N+, MCP

If you are trying to have users be able to use shared programs off an NT server to a Y2K workstation using a GPO, most likely this will not work because the Windows NT registry and the Y2K registry are a little different. I think Choctaw has the most viable solution in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back