Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 Boot Diskettes-- how to create??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomann

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2000
US
How do I create NT 4.0 boot (setup) diskettes once the OS is already installed, up, and running? Help! [sig][/sig]

Format a floppy disk on your server.

From your c:\ drive copy the following files to the floppy:

boot.ini
bootsect.dos
ntdetect.com
ntldr

test your floppy. Hope this helps ~ [sig][/sig]

Thanks, but I found what I was looking for on Microsoft's web site:

Both Winnt.exe and Winnt32.exe allow you to create boot floppy disks for installing Windows NT, or for using the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

Use the /O switch to create a set of boot floppy disks that can be used to perform either a Winnt.exe or Winnt32.exe installation. These disks are identical to the set created by a regular Winnt.exe or Winnt32.exe installation. Using this switch allows you to create the floppy disks without installing Windows NT.

Use the /OX switch to create a set of boot floppy disks to perform a CD- ROM or floppy disk installation. These disks are identical to the disks included with Windows NT in either the CD-ROM or floppy disk format.

The only difference between these two sets of disks is the Winnt.sif file on the second disk that is created when you use the /O switch. The Winnt.sif file contains an MsDosInitiated= entry. This is set to 1 when you use the /O switch. Deleting the file, or setting the value to 0, makes the set of disks equivalent to using the /OX switch. If the Winnt.sif file exists, and MsDosInitiated= is set to 1, Windows NT Setup looks for the installation files in the \$WIN_NT$.~LS temporary folder. If Winnt.sif does not exists, or MsDosInitiated= is set to 09, Windows NT Setup checks the CD-ROM drive, and then the floppy disk drive, for the installation files.

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back