Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT 4.0 and Server 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

InShadows

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2000
US
A computer (NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a) in our network is no longer able to communicate with anything outside the LAN.  I have done all the common things - restart, install the latest patch, etc. None of these work.  There is nothing in the event log as to show a problem.  So my question is does anyone know what is happening? and if not can Professional 2000 or Server 2000 be recognized and work in an otherwise NT 4.0 environment.  His computer is just part of the network and not a main server.  Thanks

From the post, it appears that you can logon locally, there is connectivity to the lan [wins, dns, dhcp, dc's] segment. And that none of the other servers have this issue on the same lan segment? What is the connection/router/gateway between the segment and the WAN? Can you connect to the server from other machines on the same lan? Can you connect over the wan/lan to the server?<br><br>how is the ip mapping/routing structured? the default gateway and routing table set?

On your first question, post answers to ray's questions.<br><br>For you second question - Pro2K works just fine on an NT domain network.&nbsp;&nbsp;As a matter of fact, I am using 2KPro on my workstation an remoteley managing my NT4 servers from it with no problems. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

Thank you raysinclair and MasterRacker for your replies.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>I started to install Win2K on the computer in question and installed a larger hard drive to the computer.&nbsp;&nbsp;When this occurred the BIOS would not read the new hard drive.&nbsp;&nbsp;I set the BIOS to autodetect and NONE came up for Primary Master/Slave and Secondary Master/Slave.&nbsp;&nbsp;I switched back to the previous hard drive and it wouldn't work.&nbsp;&nbsp;The computer is an AMD K6 400 MHz with Award Modular BIOS v4.60PGA (04/26/1999-VP3-586B-W877-2A5LEF09C-00).&nbsp;&nbsp;I have put in the hard drive under USER settings and that doesn't work.&nbsp;&nbsp;After loading up it says, &quot;DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;When installing Win2K it recognizes the hard drive but the BIOS doesn't.&nbsp;&nbsp;Today when I switch the machine off it beeps three times and then the power light blinks and the fan stays running although the monitor goes into stand-by mode.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have never come across this before and need help.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm beginning to think this computer was possessed.&nbsp;&nbsp;Either that or my boss was at the terminal again. :) <p>Dave Highfield<br><a href=mailto:dave@dullesmicro.com>dave@dullesmicro.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I couldn't think of a sig so here it is.

Check your motheeboard book for the beep code.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do all the standard stuff like checking cabling - loose components, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;At this point it sounds like you have a low level hardware problem. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back