Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nslookup resolution before subscribing edge server in exchange environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieldriggers

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2012
US
I am setting up an exchange server here locally to manage company emails. I have a SonicWall(firewall) with a configed DMZ port, and a configured LAN port. the lan port currently runs every node and host.
The DMZ port is connected to the second NIC in my edge transport server. The internal trusted network is 192.168.1.0/24, the internal untrusted(DMZ) network is a 10.10.10.0/24.

I am at the stage where I need to nslookup the servers from hub to edge.

Here is what I am getting from the edge server when I run nslookup:
nslookup racexchange - no resolution
nslookup racexchange.racmtg.local - GOOD
nslookup 192.168.1.14 - GOOD

From the Exchange Server:
nslookup racmediaserver - no resolution
nslookup racmediaserver.racmediaserver - no resolution
nslookup 192.168.1.16 - GOOD
nslookup 10.10.10.16 - no resolution

I need to be able to resolve these successfully before I can subscribe the edge server to the hub server.

I updated the host file on both computers, even though the edge transport will already resolve the Exchange server, but it's still not working.

All of my servers are Dell Poweredge 2850. All running Windows Server 2003 STD R2.

Any help will be great I am a hardware guy, A+, Net+, and almost CCNA certified. I know virtually nothing about server setting and DNS records.

PS - No firewalls are activated. The two machines are on the same network segment so the only hardware the packets are traversing is a switch.

IMAGE CAPTION: The picture is a cmd prompt screen shot from the Exchange server(joined to the domain)
the hostfile readout is displayed at the top. I then pinged the FQDN with successful return. however the nslookup still says non-existent domain.

Thanks,
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back