Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NS700, some extensions transfer you to the front desk

Justin RSU34

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2023
US
This is my 2nd year with this PBX. There's some people's 4-digit extension, even if they're in another building at another address in our district, where instead of being able to directly dial them by extension - it will give me a message on my phone that says "Message On" and the call ends up getting picked up by the front desk. Any idea what could be happening and how I can fix it? Thanks!

Hmm. Try dialling 790 from those problematic extensions and then try dialling them internally once done.

Hmm. Try dialling 790 from those problematic extensions and then try dialling them internally once done.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. What does 790 do? And I found out more information on this issue from people in the building, they're saying nobody from the middle school can 4-digit dial the high school. Does that open up other things to check for and try?

Actually its * 7 9 0 im used to NEC programming these days. If you are trying to dial out from these handsets and they transfer you to the operator then its likely the extension has been locked. You can unlock this from the operator phone by dialling SPEAKER * 7 8 2 EXTENSION NUMBER SPEAKER. Curious because the latter I had same issue with a customer.

Actually its * 7 9 0 im used to NEC programming these days. If you are trying to dial out from these handsets and they transfer you to the operator then its likely the extension has been locked. You can unlock this from the operator phone by dialling SPEAKER * 7 8 2 EXTENSION NUMBER SPEAKER. Curious because the latter I had same issue with a customer.
Thanks. When you say the operator phone, do you mean the one that's in another building that can't be reached by its 4-digit extension?

Yes, but if you have access to the web programming you can change the operators extension (temporarily) and use the *782 code 2 System -> 2 Operator and BGM. *790 clears features set BTW like call forwarding

Yes, but if you have access to the web programming you can change the operators extension (temporarily) and use the *782 code 2 System -> 2 Operator and BGM. *790 clears features set BTW like call forwarding
Please pardon my ignorance, but when you say change the operators extension, do you mean change my desk phone to use their extension? Just so I don't have to travel between buildings?

Here's something I found out: if I punch the 4-digit extension into my phone and then press speakerphone, it will dial like normal and the call will go through. It's only with the "conventional" method of picking up the handset and then dialing that I get the error.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back