Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NS6 incompatible with NS4 (and MS IE)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHH

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
US
I am hoping that someone proficient in the Netscape / JavaScript interface may have either a direct answer or a pointer to a website with information about NS 4 / NS 6 differences.

I am writing cross-browser code for our corporate website. (We have about 11% NS 4+ users and 1% NS 6 users.)

Although my problem nominally concerns a Remote Scripting interface (which MS Q284280 says is not supported by NS 6) I doubt that is the problem, since NS 6

1. Does not produce an error message
2. Accepts a return parameter
3. Alerts the parameter as 'typeof = Object'

[ Q284280 says (for NS 6 attempting Remote Scripting) that: "the following exception is raised and is visible from the Java Console: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission machinename resolve)" ]

However, unlike NS 4.75 (and MS IE 5.5) NS 6.01 is unable to resolve the parameter as a text string.

The URL of a simple test case is:

... and I will provide client- and server-side code if it would be helpful.

My workstation runs NT4.0 and the website runs Windows 2000 and IIS 5.0.

This example runs fine via the other two browsers, but fails to produce expected results with NS 6.01.

Questions:

1. Is there a difference in the JavaScript calling / response interface for NS 6?

2. If I am wrong, and the RSProxy.class applet does in fact need to be signed for NS 6, where can I get detailed information on what to place in the JAR file, and then how to reference the signed applet from my client-side code?

Note: MS Q284280 is at:

Hope you can either help or provide pointers,

JimHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back