Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NRU software and Fast RAD question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleskeen

Programmer
Nov 26, 2006
US
Can anyone tell me if the NRU software and Fast RAD unit will make my job of programming my system any easier?

I have a NEW MCIS 7.0 system with x26 - t7316e extension phones

I am old school and have always used the phone pad to program.

I have never used this particular software, but was told by my Norstar rep that it would considerably help me program the entire system and keep it updated.

My question is how easy is the software to use? Will it map the system for me and show all phones on the network or what? Do you just check boxes or do you specify parameters?

Is there another billion page manual that comes with it?

My unit and software will arrive on Wednesday, so I hope to use it on Thursday.

My rep is sending NRU 10.0, but I think there is version 11.0 out. Is this true or false? I told them I wanted the newest version.

What’s the luring curve here?

Thanks
Charles

If you are old norstar, you can progam a system 10 times faster through the set. NRU is good for remote programming, or the IT guy that doesn't know what a feature key is. There is a version NRU 11, so 10 is old. It's not hard to learn.

When in doubt RTFM (read the friggin manual)

Again as stated..if you need to access remotly it is a grate tool..as far as ease of use ..i have with 1 other tech using 2 fingers reprogrammed"had to do a startup due to corruption" 120 sets with 3 t1's and 200 did/target lines in about 8 hours"includes about 2 hours of data retrival" plus coverage next day

The software is easy to use. Some things are easier to do in NRU and others are easier from a set. The tree structure of NRU allows you to program one item sequentially for each set. For example, inputting the set names is much easier in NRU. I put all my programming in an Excel spread sheet and then copy/paste (using keyboard shortcuts) all the names. There is no way you can do that faster programming from a phone. If you have a computer that supports 2 monitors you can have the spread sheet open on one monitor and NRU on the other, it is very fast. OTOH, button programming from NRU is awful, much easier done from at the set. If you can’t type get a typing program and learn.

7.0 requires NRU 11.0

I found it a little hard to get used to but a little help from this site I got along pretty good.

I usually program with the set and use RAD to make backup and access remote. Good to get familiar with NRU if BCM's are in your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back