Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NParc on Teradata

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkpDba

MIS
Sep 21, 2004
US
Has anyone have any experience with Ncr's NPARC solution?
We're interested in using it for both data migration and for periodic data refreshes from production to UA.
Pros? Cons? comments?

thanks

I asked this question a while ago. It appears to be used for moving data between Teradata systems. It is not available as a seperate utility like FL/ML/Tpump, it is a process used by NCR customer service reps. I think you need to contact your NCR rep for additional info.

NPARC (Named Pipe ARChive) is an NCR utility that transfers data between two Teradata systems. It is basically ARC using named pipes instead of tape, making data transfers much faster. The "donor" system runs an ARC DUMP into the pipes and the "receiver" system runs an ARC COPY with the pipes as its input. The bynets of both systems are connected via LAN cable through your node's LAN ports.

It is a professional services engagement to have it done, but I believe you can also purchase the product for your own use if you pay NCR enough. That was a while ago, NCR's stance may have changed on selling it since then. We've used NPARC when migrating to new hardware and I will say it beats dumping to and restoring from tape handily in speed and ease of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back