Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Now I've Done It Need Help with IP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbam

MIS
Oct 10, 2000
US
Well, I started talking about IP Telephony and now I have been charged with making it work. I know this is a lot, but if anyone has a document that could help, I would appreciate it. I have the phones, the PBX setup, the PBX software installed, but there are some pieces of the puzzle missing.

I am used to setting up a PC and plugging in the network cable, the running the cable to the patch panel, then to the switch. But I am looking at the back of this PBX and there are no places to plug in network cables. I am thinking outloud, but do I run the cable as usual, get it to the punchdown block and ???? How does the PBX know what punch down is for IP? Please don't give me your phone number to hire you. I understand non-answers here. Thanks for any direction. It is a lot I know.

What type of system and version are you running? I can give you some documents once I narrow it down

In the future everything will work...

System: G3siV11 Software Version: R011i.03.0.526.5

The IP is done through the Medpro board and the Clan board. That is what gives the switch connectivity to your network. Then your IP phone connects to the same network and you're on your way... well to start at least. That's the most indepth knowledge I can offer, I know NX01 always seems to have good insight, but I figured I'd ease your worry about punching down the cat5 cables to the switch block. B-)

Like bwilch said, you must have atleast one Clan (TN799C or DP) and one Medpro (TN2302AP). Do a "list Config all" Tell me what you got and the FW and HW versions of the two cards above.
There are a few aspects to IP Telephony. Are you just intalling IP phones internally? Is this for a signle site? Are you utilizing IP Softphones? IP trunking?

01C13 CONTROL-LAN TN799C 000003

I do not have the TN2302AP. I have this:

01A NETCON/PKTINT TN2401 000003
01A NET/PKT BP CONN TN2400 000001

so I guess the TN2302AP is the first thing I need.

You will need the TN2302AP to do the IP Telephony. You can get a new board for around $8,000 or a refurb for $6,000. You want a HW15 version. I have had trouble with the lower versions....especially HW03's. Once you get that we can start getting down to business.

NX01, I found this on Avaya's site:

Circuit pack requirement
Communications Server Circuit Packs, which include the TN2302AP (Prowler Board) and TN799B/C (C-LAN Board). Note: These are not needed on the Avaya S8300 Media Server with Avaya G700 Media Gateway.

So, I either need the board or the media server and gateway?

The media server and gateway are a full upgrade. A lot more money. Since you probably have a few IP liscenses already, you may just want to get the medpro to see if IP is what you are looking for. I have been using it for a awhile and can only see a return of investment on IP Trunkning, new construction and remote offices. Maybe someone else can give you a brighter picutre of VoIP.

Media Server is known as any of the S8X00 servers, i.e. S8700, S8500, S8300, and S8100. The Media Gateways are the cabinets that access them or that the servers reside in. If you have MCC or SCC cabinets, they are now known as Media Gateways along with the G600 (IP600 chassis), G650 (new S8700 and S8500 installs), G700 and G350 (for S8300 Media Servers).

You system will support IP Telephony. You just need to get the IP Media Processor. If you can get a new TN799DP C-LAN board, get that also. See if you can trade the TN799C in for credit. You will also want to upgrade the Backplane IO Amphenol Cables for the CLAN and IP Med Pro to CAT5 for 100/Full connectivity.

You can still do IP Telephony without the MedPro - sort of... and if you have IP Licenses. You should have at least 5. Under Display Capacity page 8.

With your IP Softphone software, log into server as telecommuter. And just define the telephone to do the audio piece. This can a station of the switch, a land line, or even your cell.

It's not the best, but at least you'll be able to prove calls can travel over your LAN.

We can provide much more detailed information if needed.

Thanks,
Chris

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

No, if they do that, there are no calls traveling over the LAN. Then only thing traveling over the LAN is goig to be signalling, which could be as much as 14 bytes per second.

In telecommuter mode, the calls travel over the TDM bus only. So, what you have is IP call signalling and control but no VOIP.

If you are able to buy gray market at all you could buy the board for as little as about $2k and if you're on maintenance, you can get it certified for a trip charge. Metrolinedirect is selling hw03's for $3299 new, right now. Haven't had any trouble with my hw03 so far. The new backplane connectors are pretty cheap, around $30.00 I think. Check page 10 of disp capacity, if you don't have any concurrent ip station licenses under system capacity, it doesn't matter how many licenses you have on page 11. They made us buy universal licenses to use them.

Good point JayNEC...

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back