Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novice - Too many layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorAnderson

Programmer
May 22, 2000
US
Visit site
I'm trying to add some text to a picture I've been messing with for a while.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I try to add the text is says &quot;too many layers for this version of PhotoShop&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;Well, I've got the full 5.5.&nbsp;&nbsp;What gives?&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a way around this limitation, and what is the limitation anyway?&nbsp;&nbsp;How man layers can I add? <p>Victor Anderson<br><a href=mailto:victoranderson2000@imailbox.com>victoranderson2000@imailbox.com</a><br><a href= Guru</a><br>ICQ# - 14847018

Hummm, sounds like a strange one to me, I've never had any problems with that before, and I've worked on projects that has at least 24 layers, and this was back in version 3.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a few suggestion.<br><br>1 - try to give Photoshop more memory.<br><br>2 - trash your preference file.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;See if any of those will help. <p>Andre Vandal<br><a href=mailto:dezign@canada.com>dezign@canada.com</a><br><a href= Dezign's Sites</a><br>A bit of eveything Celestial

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;then why not take the time to share the solution you used so that next time we will all know what to do?<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks ahead... <p>Andre Vandal<br><a href=mailto:dezign@canada.com>dezign@canada.com</a><br><a href= Dezign's Sites</a><br>A bit of eveything Celestial

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone would notice I didn't offer the solution.&nbsp;&nbsp;Reason is I didn't really find one, I just wacked some of the other layers I had.<br><br>I think that it runs out of layers at 100 however.<br><br>Thanks all! <p>Victor Anderson<br><a href=mailto:victoranderson2000@imailbox.com>victoranderson2000@imailbox.com</a><br><a href= Guru</a><br>ICQ# - 14847018

100 layers!!!<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;You actually made something that ran over 100 layers?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Sheesh!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;What were you making to reach that level?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Amazed minds wants to know.&nbsp;&nbsp;:) <p>Andre Vandal<br><a href=mailto:dezign@canada.com>dezign@canada.com</a><br><a href= Dezign's Sites</a><br>A bit of eveything Celestial

I was about to tell you that the maximum number of layers is arbitrarily set to 100, but I see it has been answered, and that you have since circumvented your problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;From the threads posted, it appears that you received all the relevant advice.<br>Good luck with your Photoshopping!<br>Rick

Photshop 5.5 has up to 99 layers, you might have a bug in yours, and When 6.0 comes out its going to be infinite layers..... Can't wait!!!!

I am wondering, if you cannot open the file in the first place, how do you trash some of the layers to make it work?

Photoshop 6 also has &quot;Layer Folders&quot; so that you can arrange your &quot;infinite&quot; layers (not really infinite, top limited by the amount of memory you have) into folders.

PS6 is looking VERY sexy .. especially the Layers and Vectors features that have been cleaned and added

How many people need infinite layers? I think that the most layers that I have ever used is around 40.

-Vic [sig]<p>vic cherubini<br><a href=mailto:malice365@hotmail.com>malice365@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= software</a><br>====<br>
Knows: Perl, HTML, JavScript, C/C++, PHP, Flash, Director<br>
Wants to Know: Java, Cold Fusion, Tcl/TK<br>
====[/sig]

In Photoshop 5.5 maximum number of layers is only 99 after 99 layers it does not allow you to add layer.

But in Photoshop 6.0 Maximum Number of Layer is 5500.

For adding the layer in your file you have to delete the unnecessary layers.

This will Help

I've had the need for several thousand layers. I'll create product shots with a similar background in a layer of its own, and have each product on a seperate layer. For many clients, the products run into the thousands. Or sometimes I need to create large GIF animations with hundreds of cells. I just create a second file when I hit the layer max.
Sincerely,

Tom Anderson
CEO, Order amid Chaos, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back