Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novice Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livesfreely

Technical User
May 30, 2003
IN
Hi, I don't know if this is the right forum for my problem but I'll try and see if someone can help me.

There is a phone jack in my house...when I hook up my modem to it, the modem doesn't detect a dial tone.
When I hook up a telephone to this jack, it has some disturbance or noise while talking to a person or even when i'm just listening to the dial tone.

I don't know what's going on or what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated.

This is tricky to diagnose. you could trace back to the point where the phone line comes into the house and see how good it is there. At my house there is a junction box on the outside of the house before it comes into the house for both Telephone company access and user access. I think sometimes on these outside boxes you get some corrosion on the wires or the jacks that plug in. When that happens sometimes you have a bad ground and the line may not connect or disconnect. By starting at the source you can tell if the line is bad coming in or if the lines in the house need some work.

In some areas after a big rain there are telephone lines that get wet and it takes a while for them to dry out.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Yes...Check the box outside the house if you can.

Unplug the line going to the house and plug your phone in directly. If you still have signal noise, it is a problem with the wiring going to your house. If the signal is clear, the problem is with internal wiring.

I had a problem where the modem wouldnt disconnect.

I just pulled my connector out and plugged it back in a couple times and that helped a lot.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

In my house the receptacles are such that you have to push the connectors more than when you hear a click. They click before the contacts are made. Perhaps thsi is your problem too. Push them in a little more, to see if they still slide in.

thanks for your suggestions. Will try them out and see if it works.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back