Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell XP Client Unable to access 2 Netware Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSUBeavers

Instructor
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a Netware 4.11 and 6.0 server on our school network.

A Dell Laptop with XP Pro will boot and only see the Netware 6.0 server. When I click the Advanced tab on the client login screen and then click the Tree button all it will find is the Netware 6 server. I had specified in the properties earlier that the Netware 4.11 server was the preferred server.

I have installed Novell Client 4.83 and then tried 4.90 both give same results.

I can log into the Netware 6 server with no problems. If I unplug the Netware 6 server and reboot the laptop I can then login to the Netware 4.11 server.

When I plug the Netware 6 server back into the network the laptop stays connected to the Netware 4.11 server as if nothing happened.

I need the XP Client to see BOTH servers and login to both of them.

The network currently is connecting via IPX.

If there is anyone who can help I would be indebted to your kindness. Thanks!

View Network Connections, Advanced, Provider Order, move IPX to the top of the list.

I suspect the TCP/IP DNS entry for the Netware 6.0 Server is resolving prior to an IPX name resolution.

I reinstalled Novell Client 4.9 and specified IPX only. I have even turned off TCP/IP it still cannot see the Netware 4.11 server unless I unplug the Netware 6.0 server.

What protocols are the Netware servers running ?

6.0 should be running TCP/IP. 4.11 will probably be running IPX/SPX. If this is the case, you will need to make sure the XP machine has the Client Service for Netware and NWLink NetBIOS protocol installed. When configuring the Frame Type, change it from Automatic to Manual and enter the 802.2 Frame Type for the 4.11 server. You must also verify that the Network Number matches that of the 4.11 server.

Hope this helps.

SL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back