Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell Netmail 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkesting

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2003
US
Anyone here use or used Netmail 3.5? Is it good. I am looking into setting up an email system and am looking at both Groupwise and Netmail. I don't necessarily need all the features of Groupwise and it is more expensive than Netmail, but I am not familiar with that product. Can anyone give me a brief post on their thoughts on it?

THanks.

Netmail is pretty basic, and it's not widely supported in the industry. So if you are using any 3rd party spam or virus solutions, if you ever have problems - they will blame it on Netmail. It's an okay product for users that just need a mailbox, and might either use the web or POP3 to access it. So if you want to compare it to a basic POP3 account you'd get from home with your ISP - that's about what the end users will get.

GroupWise is much more widely used and supported, and if you start using it, you will find it is a great product to use. It's easy to administer and it's rock solid. For companies serious about collaboration, I wouldn't choose anything else. Since you haven't used GroupWise, you don't understand the power of it. But once you've used it, you would have a tough time going back to a dumbed down application like Outlook.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Does Groupwise include SLES 9 or is it a separate purchase?

GroupWise 7 comes with SLES 9 and eDirectory, so you should have everything you need. Shouldn't have to purchase anything else. Or you can run it on NetWare. Or even windows if you're crazy.

Also with GroupWise is the GroupWise Messenger, which is a cool Instant Messenger that is secure and made for corporate environments where security is important. And it integrates with GroupWise and eDirectory.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back