Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell Native File Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acymlf

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
MY
Just wanted to know does Novell Native file access really work. I wanted to upgrade my existing Netware from 5 to 6 but was told by my vendor that Novell Native File Access cannot support login scripts and drive mapping without using the Novell Client software. Is this true?

If the above is too confusing, all I want to confirm is, can windows login to Netware 6 and work just like a Novell client logged into Netware 5? what are the disadvantages of this?

Thanks in advance

Hi

Native file access gives you nothing, just access to your home directory, you get no services at all, To me it is a joke, but if you just want access to your files...then that is all you get. you can not run any login scripts...think of it as login in to bindery services. When you do that you get nothing either , no scripts no printing just access to your files.

Vaughn

CNE Netware CNE 5.x

Thanks for the confirmation. Then Novell is telling ppl all the wrong thing about Native file access. What is the purpose of Native file access if you dont have all the other services?. What about Native file access for Netware 5.1? does it gives any advantages?

Vaughn sounds pissed off.

NFA is good for non-technical users who just need to get their files, browse network neighborhood, etc., regardless of which platform their client workstation is using.

It is also useful when dealing with MCSE's who freak out and start convulsing when they see the big red N in their taskbar.

NFA obviously has a smaller footprint than the client

------------
Certified in absolutely nothing :)

Hi

I am not Pissed off....just very disappointed with the effort Novell put into it. The problem with enabling it for windows users is that it makes the Novell server look like an NT or 2k server. The only problem with that is now your Netware server has the SAME vulnerbilities as a Microsoft Server. Is that what you want!!!? Not in my world. If you want to access your files with a clientless login then do it with ifolder, or you can access your files via the browser and ifolder web page, you then retain your great Netware security and if you have roaming windows users install the smail ifolder client and it will auto sync your files for ya the moment your laptop is connected to the internet you have access to your files.

We have quite a few OS/2 wkstns and linux boxes and this native file access has not done much to help with bringing in those systems to work better with Netware. Everything is still geared to Microsoft wkstns connecting to Netware..this phrase platform independent is just a smoke screen....Netware really only works well with windows clients connecting to Netware. Novell dumped the Mac, abandoned OS/2 and is trying to make an attempt with a linux client but failed to make a viable client for linux. Native file access is just a fix or add on to Unix file access. and that is all you get. If you want a client for the Mac then you need to purchase it from Prosoft, but if it is a windows user the client is free, the OS/2 client only works up to Netware 4.11, but it does still work with current netware but you don't get any services...

Vaughn Bender

CNE 3, 4, 5.x
Netware CNE 5.x

NFA doesn't make NetWare vulnerable to the "vulnerbilities as a Microsoft Server." For instance, core security is as unassailable as it gets right now. Buffer overflows don't seem to bother NetWare. Oh, they don't seem to exist. No known virus seems to infest NetWare server OS yet... Certainly not NIMDA for instance. The Apache web server isn't as vulnerable as IIS, nor is Enterprise Web Server.

But... NFA is not a fix-all for clientless attachment. Just so we're straight on this, few Windows servers do well with login scripts, the admins seem to give up. Local mappings on the workstations follow the concept of a clientless environment, if you consider Microsoft networking to be 'clientless'.

NFA is good for what it does. If you want a Windows Server without laying awake nights worrying about it, try Samba.

rick

rick

I can't believe no one mentioned how WONDERFUL simple passwords are. Imagine attempting to manage 11,000 users with 11,000 passwords that they can never remember... Add a simple password to each of them and that's 22,000 passwords they can never remember. Sheesh!

NFAP is a great idea though because Netware can accomodate those people who won't leave their Macs. It's also good for the Unix gurus who want to use server space to backup their files. ....but all of this needs to be kept to a limited few on your network. Also, in my testing...I found that CIFS file transfers took longer than regular TCP/IP tranfers using the Novell Client. I had to copy large files (over 200 megs) to notice, but I did see a substantial difference in speed. Not a big deal until you offer it to 11,000 users and expect your server to negotiate 8% of them connecting at once. So...NFAP is a solution, but it is not THE solution.

Cheers!

Hi

It is still like I said....a stop gap. It does nothing but provide access to your files. If you are running Netware 6 then you have some options...Zen 4.x provides you with options for using that product. No client is needed...just point your browser and if you are into a browser based management tool for NDS then IMANAGER is the product....but I am prone to be biased to products that work well like Nwadmin, not that slug of consoleOne. Novell does not have a complete solution in one admin tool anymore...you must still use NWadmin for some, ConsoleOne for Zen 3.x or higher and some NDS stuff but still NO Bordermanager tools in ConsoleOne and now they added IMANAGER....when will the tools end or have one complete solution...??

Oh well....maybe in the next version of Netware (Sounds like M$ mentality)

Vaughn Netware CNE 5.x

Please excuse a Netware 6 newbie post.

Is NFAP inacted immediately? I ask this because after installing a beta of 6 I am unable to see the server in Net Neighbourhood. Must a simple password be assined first or are there specific mods to be loaded or protocols to be installed?

Thank you in advance.

This thread illustrates why novell is fated to be the next Banyan, contempt for mcse's (I can understand a BIT of that) and MS even though MS continues to kick Novell's tail every day, Lack of knowledge concerning MS's product (come on guys anyone can write a login script and printer support is just fine under w2k server).
NDS is dead in the water and for that matter so is novell, the only supporters left are people like me who just like software and people like my boss who is a 3.12 CNE who knows less than nothing about MS. He makes us continue using ONE Netware file and print server in spite of the fact that nothing else on the network plays well with it.
Clientless login exist's because no one wants to deal w/ the ultra thick novell client.
The only people who really complain about MS security are admin's too lazy to patch, and I could go on through all the other arguments. he war is over and MS won. On top of that Linux is eating what market share MS didn't. I'll finish this by saying I run a Groupwise server at home and love NW6, but I know it's a short term relationship.

bobmook CNA MCP MCSE MCDBA CCNA LINUX+

bobmook,

I think everyone knows that Novell "Netware" is dying (but it's not dead yet) and that Novell's future is not in Netware, but in eDirectory. This is why products like DirXML and all of the Web stuff that Novell is doing is really critical.

In my humble opinion, Novell just needs to make using DirXML a little bit easier and make more provisions to keep the Web Services from breaking so easily (ever get into a battle with NICI, SSL or Certificates? that's NOT fun.)

Outside of these products "breaking" "relatively easily" (even through a patch) Novell has made some really great strides to keep ahead of the competition in ways that really haven't been advertised as strongly as they should have (in my opinion.)

This is of course all my opinion and I hope Novell hears what I'm saying... somehow.

Cliff Giddens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back