Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell Login on XP Pro, want universal Local machine account

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbeneke

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I have my first XP Pro desktop PC in our Novell network environment. It logs in fine using NW Client v4.83 SP2 but....

I want to set this machine up as a shared machine for everyone in the company.
We have a station where a whole lot of software is installed for which we have only 1 licence and only use occasionally. This is software such as Accurender (3D) which is machine intensive.

I want to be able to lock down the machine but not have to set up 35 local accounts!

Is there a way to set this machine to automatically use a generic local machine account even when the Novell login name and the local machine account name do not match?? and without having to enter a second password?

Any help appreciatted.

Ben Beneke

You can also use the latest Zenworks. It will create the local account and then delete it when a user logs in. A nice feature, I think. If the PC were to be looked at, it would seem like no one has ever logged into it before.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back