Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell and Windows Synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo2364

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2004
US
I have some Windows 2000 PC's that I cannot synchronize the Windows password to Novell. The following is greyed out:

"Change your Windows password to match your Novell password after a successful login"

I did find out that I needed to remove NMAS client but this still did not work.

Can anyone help me?

Are the users allowed to change their local workstation passwords? If so, are there policies in place requiring special characters etc. and does the Netware password meet these requirements?

Which client are you using? With 4.91 and up, in the client properties look at the Advanced Login tab. Scroll down to "Windows Password Syncronization" and make sure it's enabled.

why did you remove nmas?

this is what gfives you the nice features

Novell TIDS tell you to remove NMAS - that's because the TIDS are created by engineers that handle the support calls. When they get calls like this, all they want to do is close the calls, and removing NMAS is the easiest way. It doesn't fix the problem, it removes the code that caused the problem.

It's better to work through it and leave NMAS in place, because as Terry said, it gives you some extra security stuff that is really cool like the Universal password, strong passwords, password policies and enforcement etc. Take NMAS out and you're using the default NDS password which is very limited and difficult to manage.

You will find that there are updates to the Novell client that fix a lot of this type of problem. Make sure you're using the newest one.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back