Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell & windows XP sp1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBN

MIS
May 31, 2001
US
Just installed some XP Pro machines in a Novell environment. Odd thing is neither files or directories can be deleted. An error message comes up stating that the files is in use or the user has no privileges to delete the file. The files cannot be moved either. This is only on the XP machines; the 98 and 2000 machines have no problems. Log the same user in on one of the 98/2000 machines, the same files can be deleted. If you log into Novell as Administrator, with full rights for everything, the files can be deleted. Help! Thanks.

4.83 sp2 on some, 4.9 on others. This didn't make a difference though.

I have to say I don't know what the prob is.
(I assume you have the latest service packs of those client versions?)

When you go to the novell properties of the file as a normal user what permissions do you have available to you?
Do you have full access or are then "changed" from what should be.

Also going to the novell client properties, do you notice anything different on the settings from the XP pc's to the other's? are they all the same?

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

JBN, I recently upgraded some '98 machines to Win2k and experienced a similar issue. For us it was a matter of Windows now taking a more prominent role in "user" security. Even though a person was authenticated to Novell, they weren't necessarily the Windows-authorized (Admin.) user with control over the local PC.

Can't speak for your situation but you might want to look at your WinXP "user" maintenance and see if it is getting in the way.

JGiles

Yeah, we went and compared the Novell settings to the XP settings and everything seems fine. Interesting thing is, you can delete all you through Word. Open for a new file and delete. So for now, we are doing it this way.

JBN,
What service pack level are you on on the server? Do you have these parameters set?

SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED = OFF
SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED = OFF

If you are at SP2 or lower, the first will not be available. In any case, set these to OFF and reboot server for them to take effect.

HTH
Ed

I've seen the same thing on XP and floppy disks. Yea, I know... Who still uses floppys.
Same message, same problem, just not on a network drive. I just don't see how setting OpLocks on the server would help.

XP does something wierd that I think is causing the problem. XP, when in explorer, actually reads the file to get a preview and gather other information about it. If you try to delete while it's doing this, you get an error because it thinks the file is open. I've typically seen this while trying to access files on a Netware server, but have also run into it on local files in certain situations.

I have yet to find a total solution, but there are options to disable certain features in XP like this that are annoying. can't remember specifics but it's in tools/folders/view. Plus the caching options on the server as mentioned previously will certain help.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

We resolved this problem in a most unexpected way. Recently we were inundated with virus' and had trouble accessing the microsoft website in order to do the necessary critical updates. We found out that our isp was blocking our ability to access microsoft without a proxy. When they opened our ability to do the internet without a proxy, that for some reason cleared up our problem here also. Go figure. Thank you all for your input with this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back