Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell 5.1 Server Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shemsher

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2002
US
Novell 5.1 Server Issue. Need Help.

We recently installed one Novell 5.1 server (Single Server and Single Tree)and getting slow response from the server. Such as when trying to open a word document from the server mapped volume, its wait for a while and open it. Next time when we open the same document, its open fast. But if we try to open another new document, first its open slowly then second time its open fast.

Also when try to print a document to the NDS printer, its works fine, but when try to send any document from Internet Explorer, the workstation locked for few second and then the print job to the printer and its prints.

Unable to trace out the problem, Will appreciate your help.

Shemsher

Can you give us some more information to work with please ?

Basics required would be the processor type and speed, memory size, total disc size, disc space in use

Other helpful additions are network card speed & duplex settings, speed & duplex of port on local switch.

With the information given it could be a large number of things - so I personally would prefer not to send you off on a wild goose chase.

Also, what Service Pack are you running and is CLIENT FILE CACHING enabled?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks, the details are as follows:
1. Dell PowerEdge 4400 Server
Novell 5.1SP5
Deul Intel Processor, 800 Mhz each. 1GB Memory
HD Raid5, Sys 4000MB 29% used. Other three volumes 25 to
30% in used.
2. Network Card: Speed 100, Force Duplex: 2.
3. Client File Caching=Off

I don't think its a server issue. More like Windows or a desktop issue. I would check to see if you have indexing on. Microsoft is famous for that.

Good luck!
JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back