Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novell 5.1 and Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

etaylor

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2003
US
Is there any one, who can help me ??????????

I am getting slowness on Windows 2000 by accessing the resources in the Novell 5.1 server, like I opened a file from a mapped network drive and then try to open the second file, then its freeze for a while (like 30 second). Also when I try to print some thing directly from a webpage and the computer freeze for a while. But normally printing from any other application, its work fine.

All of our Win2000 computer having Novell Client 4.83SP1. But I also tested the windows 2000 with Client 8.40, but got the same result.

I tested the same scenario by using Windows 95/98 with Novell Client 3.30 and Windows NT40 with Client 4.80 and there was not delay of accessing resources to resources. But only getting the problem with Windows 2000 with Novell Client.

Will appreciate your help.

Check to see that file caching is turned off. There is a setting on the client and the server.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

It was turn 'on', I turned it off. But no improvement. I also turned off 'Burst Mode'. Not result.

How about on the server?
At the console type: set client file caching enabled
It will tell you if it is off or on.
If it is on type: set client file caching enabled=off
Then try it.
Also, I believe there is a new client for 2000\XP.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back