Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

novell 5.0 - licensing and console issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

king18

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
CA
Hey there, I was going through Tek Tips and was wondering if anyone has ever come across this problem? Due to a licensing issue the console of a Netware 5.0 (small business solution) - the only server on the network is inaccesible. Their is a Policy Manager error - c0001002 that appears on the console and now I have no access to the console i.e no cursor. The error code means that 'no licence has been installed at or above the server's context'.

My game plan was to run Vrepair, DSrepair -a and DSrepair (full unattended repair) and apply SP6a however with no access to the console and Rconsole was not working due to missing nlm's I downed the server using the ctrl+alt+esc key sequence and of course the server hung in a loop from a 3rd party utility (Cronlog) so with tech support advice they suggested I cold-boot the server! YIKES! It turns out that the server has SCSI drives mirrored and in trying to come back up the disks are now out of synch. And although I have yet to see anymore Policy Manager error's instead I have a message ' the mirrored object on the system are not synchronized'

Ever come across this message? As you can tell I know squat about Novell Servers and should never have started on this merry path - however I was suckered in by the owner of the site ........

I have identified 3 problems:

1. Licensing issues - need more and possible misplacement of licensing on the tree and/or corruption ... the original problem being that not all of the 15 client licenses were being used and people were being kicked off the network.

2. Scsi mirrored drives are out of sync

3. Why is the console not accessible

Any suggestions out there? Paige email: paige@ctsolutions.com

Here are a couple off answers I think will help:

The drives out of sync message is being caused by the shutdown of the server. If it is not shutdown cleanly then the drives will become out of sync. Once rebooted, the server will start the re-mirror process. To see how it is doing, you should type "Mirror Status" (or display mirror status cant remember!) at the server console. This will show you how far it has got remirroring.

Licencing: This will not stop you from getting to the server console however there could be a number of reasons why the policy manager message is appearing. Try typing "SETUPNLS" at the server console and running through the setup routine. If this does not work, you will probably need to remove and reinstall the Licence via NWCONFIG - Licensing options.

It sounds like you do need a SP6a update on the server to cure the missing nlm's. Try booting the server from DOS with SERVER -NA - This will load without the AUTOEXEC.NCF and will not load any apps. If you think there are DS problems then it may be an idea to run DSREPAIR before yiou run the SP! I would thibnk the best is DSREPAIR -A and repair local database. You should then be able to run the Service Pack upgrade with no problems (I would suggest you use the backup files option!) I also recommend that you make sure you have a decent backup first!!

Good Luck

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back