Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Novarg and spoofed from address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adminman

MIS
Nov 28, 2001
US
I've been receiving many automated responses with the "your sending the virus to me" message and it references postmaster@mydomain.com. I know that we don't have such a user and we are not an open relay... What am I missing? Is the fear of this virus getting to me or is this just a symptom of the spoof or is there a possibility of infection? We run ex 6.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6 with norton corp 7.6 running on server and clients with current defs (network is scanned regularly). We are behind a firewall with all ports blocked except 110 and 25.

Adminman

I would not worry.

What is happening is an email with a virus was sent using a spoofed "from" address, which just happened to be yours. When the email was scanned and found to contain a virus an automatic responce was sent to the "from" address.

Russell.

Grenage,

I thought this was the case, but you never know.

Thank you,

Adminman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back