Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notorious "divide by zero" error in FPW26 .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxprox26

Programmer
Jun 20, 2005
US
Hello all,

Always good info and advice here so maybe I can obtain some!

I want to compile an .exe of some FoxPro for Windows 2.6 programs. Never done this before. So to keep things simple I wrote the most basic program I could, basically a "Hello, World!" program. It runs fine as a .prg within FoxproW 2.6. I then turned it into a project. And then I built an executable, per the instructions, after having installed the FoxPro Windows 2.6 Distribution kit.

The .exe works fine FROM WITHIN the FoxPro program directory (FPW26).

But if I move it to a new directory, accompanied by the needed FOXW2600.ESL file, I get the "divide by zero" error which is native to FoxproW 2.6 without the patch26.exe fix.

The problem is I DID patch the original FPW2.6 installation so I don't know what I'm missing. There's another post here somewhere which implies you have to patch the FOXW2600.ESL file as well, but I have no idea how to do that.

Suggestions?

BE SURE AND MAKE A BACKUP, then you should be able to run a 'patcher' against the ESL file also, AFTER MAKING A BACKUP. [wink]

I have a bit more info on my personal web site (not in any way trying to make money, it's there as a service).
Follow the link in my signature and scroll down until you find the section with the 'DZPATCH.EXE' heading.
Again, I just have that there for people to use and their own free will and at their own risk. I will say however, that I and others have used the patches fine without any problems. Just be sure and make a backup.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

You are da man! Worked like a charm! At least my little "Hello, World!" program now works from a directory containing only its .exe file and the newly patched version of FOXW2600.ESL!

When people tell me "nobody" uses FoxPro anymore, I just chuckle! LOL

Thanks again, mucho appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back