Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nothing shows on screen with a GeForce GTX 560 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
My specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78-E
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X3 710
PS: Cooler Master extreme Plus 500w, 30amps
RAM: 7Gb

evga_01gp31463kr_ampl_2.jpg

PDF:
DSC01961_500w.JPG

DSC01959_500w.JPG

DSC01960_500w.JPG

As you can see the video card has 2 sockets, but the connector EVGA sent me has 1 of that type, which it splits on 2 of the type you can see in the photo.
So I plugged the corresponding 2 wires from the power supply, then the other 1 connector/plug on the other side to 1 of the 2 sockets in the video card.

Why would it not be displaying a thing on the screen?

Thanks in advance guys :)

JDL

I failed to mention that the connectors showing on the photos are of the same little Y like connector.

JDL

Looks like you need another PCI-E 6-pin to 2-Molex Power Y-Adapter as specified in the PDF you linked to.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Thank you so much for confirming that vacunita :)
I'll have to wait 'till I'm home to give you a star - at work this is just not possible :(

JDL

No prob, glad to have helped.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Isn't there one PCI-E six-pin connector coming from your power supply that you aren't using? Use that and the y connector for the other one and you're all set.
If you don't have an unused one then you'll need another y connector.

Jim

Thanks for the suggestion ANFPS26. But I only have a 4-pin connector available :(
I'll check every single connector again just in case...

JDL

According to the specs for the listed power supply, it has 1 pci-e six connector. So unless you have another video card in there, for whatever reason, it should be plugged into the video card, and then you should have the molex to pci-e connector plugged into the other port on the card, both need to be plugged in. Also, I noticed the power supply has a split 12v supply, 12v1, and 12v2 so you should use 2 different strands with molex connectors on them one each to the Y cable. That way you are balancing the draw of the 12v rail current between the 2 12v supplies.

rClark250, you were so right about that pci-e six connector being available!
Unfortunately still nothing showed on the screen :(
I tried both molex connectors & both monitor connectors just in case, aside of thoroughly checking connections. The video-card's fan was spinning, and that message showing on the monitor' screen while the computer is off does go away when I turn it on. Confirming that there's a monitor connected. But that's about it :(

Hmmm, something seems off. Either it is a bad video card, or not configured right. Only way to test if bad card, is put it in another computer, and see if you get video, and try a different card in your motherboard. Also, this is a strange Asus board, for a single video card, it says to use the blue slot. And that their is a VGA card adapter that goes in the Black slot. Also, you may want to check the bios settings, If the Nvidia card is installed, can you hook the video cable up to the motherboard headers and still have video with no cable hooked up to the video card?

Did you disable the onboard video card in settings? It may still be getting the video output through it rather than sending directly to the add-on card.

Other than that, I agree with rclarke, installing the video card in another computer to make sure it works is the next step. No sense in trouble shooting if the card is faulty.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Eureka!
It was the outdated BIOS!

It's all good now!

Thanks a bunch for your support guys! :)

JDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back