Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes Log/ATTEMPT TO ACCESS DATABASE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcookson

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
Here's the situation. We have reviewed our Notes Log and found several of these "ATTEMPT TO ACCESS DATABASE xxxxxxx was denied" messages. The problem is that it is one bigwig trying to access another bigwigs mailbox. Before we confront anyone about this I want to make absolutely sure there is no other way to receive this message than someone actually trying to access someone else's mailbox. So, does anyone know of any other reason this would happen? Please let me know.

Do your bigwigs use the same machine...

It sounds like someone is using a different machine, switching ID's to themselves, but the location document of the machine they are on is pointing to someone elses mail file.

If not, have any agents been signed with one of the bigwigs id's?.

A good way to check is analyse the log file and search for the times that this is happening, you may find that the guy isn't even logged in when the message appears, in which case it may be an agent.

McElvis

To keep everyone updated, we have found 2 other possible reasons this could be happening.
1 - This is the response from a user at Notes.net:
Does the ACL of the mail file in question have
"-Default-" set to "No Access" but "Read public
documents" enabled?
If not, you will get this error message if someone tries to access the mail file owner's calendar using the "Open calendar" action in their own mail file.
2 - We found that if you reply to an email or forward an
email it puts a link to the original message in the
subject line. Well, if you try to open that link and
you don't have rights to the database or mailbox where
the original message resides, you will get this error
message in the notes log.
I hope this helps the next person who is confronted by this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back