Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

notes error: field is too large 32k

Status
Not open for further replies.

kribo

MIS
Aug 1, 1999
US
Hello,

I've got several users who keeps on getting this error message when I try unblocking and removing, [Notes Error: Field is too large (32k) or View's column & selection formulas are too large.]

Also, what's the limit for the Junk mail inbox?

Thanks.

Need some more information :
1) What version of Notes are you working with ?
2) Is this a design question, or a user question ?
3) Which database and which view is this happening in ?
4) Has the view been customized ?

Pascal.

Ops, forgot to answer the second question.
Views are not limited in the number of docs they can display. That is a db size issue.
However, the amount of info you can display in a column for a document is limited, and I would think that 32K should just about be that limit.

Basically put, and without supposing anything on what is displayed, a view should not attempt to display everything that is in the document - especially in Rich Text fields ! Views are sorting tools that are used to find a document amongst many others. Once you've found it, you open it to get to the data.
Of course, displaying essential information to allow for a useful overview is a good thing, but putting more than two lines worth is overkill.

Pascal.

Thanks for your input PMonett.

Here's the scoop:
1) Lotus v6.5.4
2) This is a user question.
3) This is a user db within the block mail rules functionality.
4) Not sure if the view has been customized.
Perhaps having the Document Preview causes this error?

We have a user having the same error message as well. The user tries to send an email to a group that includes all of our employees 400-500, and he'll get the error "File is too large (32K) or view's column & selection formulas are too large.

Sounds like the To: address for the email destination has surpassed the limit. If the user is trying to send the message to 400 - 500 individuals, can they break up the recipients into multiple groups and send the message out that way? Or does your Lotus Notes system have mail groups that can be used to address the recipients?

I'm getting the same message ("File is too large (32K) or view's column & selection formulas are too large.") when I simply open Notes the first time of the day. I'm using Notes 6.5.1. The error initially started a few weeks ago while I was creating a Quick Rule and now it displays at different times when doing different things, or doing nothing but opening the program.

Was anybody able to find a fixe for this, cause one of my users is suddenly getting this when trying to block stuff e-mails or domains. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back