Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes 5 Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highland

MIS
Jul 4, 2001
GB
We recently implemented Notes 5 onto several of our Metaframe Servers, since then the response from these servers has declined......does anyone have any advice on Notes 5 and any "best practices" for implementing this software...???? We were running Notes 4.6 with few problems..........

The servers are quad pentium with 2gb ram and Raid 5...normally around 70 - 80 users.....

Have you tried using Jim Kenzig's ACS for Notes 5 on Terminal Server?

Navigate to METAFRAME18/PRODUCTIVITYSOFTWARE/
download notesr5install.zip

There is also a whitepaper on installing Notes on Citrix's website.

If you're running a very large number of users per server, then that might account for it - are you taking large hits on CPU or memory resources? The Notes 5 client is far more resource hungry than its predecessor.

Check also the locations of the ini files. Preferably, each user should have their own in their home dirs.

Hope this helps

CitrixEngineer is right, the only caveat I would mention is that there are known problems with the upgrade especially as some applications object to the location and/or presence of the notes.ini file. This needs to be renamed or moved prior to the installation of several applications noted in the references given above.

Thanks for you suggesions etc....will check these out....BUT...!!!!

Can anyone tell me the meaning of the entries under TS Admin/Processes/State....ie..userreq, delay, lcpreply...etc...I had a document detailing these but where is it...????!!!!!

The reason I ask is that the processes that Notes is starting such as nhldaemn.exe, nddeagnt.exe show as being in a delay state....is this normal..???...or are they configured to wait for keyboard/mouse input etc...????

This note was published on TheThin.net by Jim Kenzig

Below are the various states that a process can be in while
connected to WinFrame or MetaFrame as seen in WFADMIN or MFADMIN.

Details:

lpcreply
Waiting for an LPC reply from a server process. Internal WIN32 APIs are implemented with LPC.

lpcrecv
Usually the server side waiting to receive LPC requests from
client processes.

run
Currently executing.

freepage
Waiting for a memory page. In page fault handler. Could also
be the modified page writer thread.

exec
Waiting for a Windows NT object; low level event, semaphore,
etc.

userreq
A sleep or delay call.

These status indicators are kernel-mode states that a
Windows NT process can occupy. Windows NT was designed with an internal client-server model where processes communicate with the executive (kernel) in much the same way that a client database application communicates with its database
server. LPC means "local procedure call," something a process might do to request services from the hardware. I'm not sure, but I think that the difference between exec and run is that only one active process per processor can be in the run state, meaning that it's what the processor is
currently working on.Threads in the exec state are loaded into memory but not necessarily active.

Thanks CE......what about the delay state....any idea on that....???? Is it similar to the userreq state...????

Can anyone else running Notes5 confirm or otherwise if the delay state is "normal" for the Notes5 active processes...????

We checked the ini file location and its OK....????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back