Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notebook wireless security

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbestle

Technical User
Mar 9, 2003
US
I just purchased a new notebook with 802.11g wireless capability. I live in an apartment and when I booted up this morning my computer found 2 networks and connected to one of them with a very weak signal. I am awaiting a Linksys wireless router and I understand about how to secure my network. My question is when my notebook connects automatically to a network nearby what security measures do I need to consider to protect my notebook from curious eyes.

Kent

You would have to setup authentication and eventually encryption to keep outsiders OUTSIDE of your patch!

Any form of authentication and encryption is better than none. Although WEP-40 is pretty superficial security, this still prevents people from being able to get to your goodies. Of course, if there is highly sensitive information on your machine, you might opt for "professionnal grade" authentication and/or encryption.

You could read more about wireless security but doing a search on 802.11i or any of the now common tools on the net.

Also try reading up on: or any of the numerous IT security pages out there.

good luck,

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back