Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

notebook s/pdif and external speakers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlowe9

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
I have a Sony Vaio vgn-ar770, which has an S/PDIF jack. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get an external 5.1 speaker system connected to it.

Can I buy a speaker set with the S/PDIF input, because I'm not finding any.

Can anyone help me with this?

Here, this should clear some things up:

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

This tells me how to hook up my home theater surround system. I would like to just buy a set of speakers with the optical/pdif input built-in.

I finally found a Logitech set, but it was $400. Would like to find something < $200 if possible.

Any suggestions?

Logitech's flagship Z-5500 is around $300, I would highly recommend these if you're looking for quality sound. Look around on Logitech's website, or Google around for "SPDIF speakers", something's bound to pop up.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Yes, I did a ton of hunting, found the Z5500. However, these were the only speaker I could find with the built-in SPDIF adapter. Everything else apparantly needs to go through a receiver of some sort.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Not 100% sure, but I think this might be what you want.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

OOO...six speakers for less than $50!!! That's quite a deal, Phil, but too bad you can't listen to them first...

Since speakers are a long-range purchase, and can travel to your next PC, and the one after that, I'd still recommend getting a name-brand with a history like the Logitech. Look at their reviews on Newegg, or Amazon - 4.5 stars and 545 reviews!

...you can't go wrong. There is a "refurbished" set for $200 but of all the things to buy used or refurbished, speakers are not one of them. They have moving parts, and parts that wear out. Save your money and get a BRAND NEW set of these, you can't go wrong at this price.

Tony

Users helping Users...

OK, I bought the Logitech Z5500. But now I can't hook them up yet, because I don't have the appropriate adapters.

The speakers came with the 3 male plugs to 3 male plugs (I think it's the 6-channel).

My laptop has an SPDIF port, which looks like a regular headphone jack, but there is red light coming out of there.

So, do I need this:

or this along with a regular optical cable:

Oh, and I'm surprised how big the sub is, and quite anxious to hear it.

mlowe9,

I'm jealous! Yes, that part looks like the correct way to get Toslink mini to standard. Give it a shot, it's cheap! You've got yourself some kicka$$ speakers!

Tony

Users helping Users...

All done! Working like a charm! Thanks for your help, I'm very happy with the decision to get the Z5500s!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back