Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

not sure which forum: VPS or dedicated server for sites...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spewn

Programmer
May 7, 2001
i am moving a friends site from one company to another and he's been offered a much higher performing system if willing to go vps. he's currently on a dedicated server.

i don't understand the differences, but here's what i do understand:

a virtual private server is a way to turn a server into multiple servers, where they all share a processing chip, and resources (bandwidth, etc), but you can allocate the amount of processing and resources to each partitioned "new server", and that remains static, unless increased/decreased. so unlike shared hosting where someone elses performance can negatively impact your site, it doesn't with vps environment.

the needs are minimal, emailing newsletters, ssl, basic stuff. but everything has to work right.

i'm not certain i clealy understand each setup, but i don't want to tell him one thing and be wrong or steer him incorrectly.

talking to the hosting company guy, it's essentially the same thing, but i can upscale my needs on the fly, where as the dedicated upscale my be done hands on. it really seems to me that the vps setup is a way for a hosting company to go from having a 5 server rack to 100's of vps servers on those 5 racks. more $$$, which is fine, i'm all for everyone getting paid as long as there is NO difference between the two setups. i just don't want my friend to get into something because he's being sold and not informed.

if anyone can give me their opinions, preferably based on some type of experience or knowledge.

thanks!

- g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back