Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

not sure what to go with

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpk136

MIS
Jan 15, 2004
US
The main feature we are looking for is to be able to move data from one database to another, Progress --> SQL Server. I need to be able to update the tables in SQL Server and not wipe them out. Would SQL Server 2005 Standard edition work for this, or do i have to go all the way to enterprise...would workgroup work for this? I'm not sure and we need to make a decision soon. Thanks for any help you can give me.

David Kuhn
------------------

You can do this with any version of SQL 2005, or SQL 2000.

It can either be done with SSIS, DTS, or T/SQL.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

is DTS still included in 2005? i thought this changed to SSIS. If it did change to this...is it hard to learn this if you already know DTS?

I went to and looked at the different features, it didn't look like workgroup could do this, i may be wrong though.

David Kuhn
------------------

It appears that you are correct Analysis Services does not come with Workgroup edition.

DTS appears to be included with the MSDE boxes that I've got, so I'd assume that it's available in Workgroup as well.

DTS is included for backworks compatabily. DTS is slated for removal in the next version of SQL Server. While you could use it, it isn't the best option to use with SQL 2005.

SSIS is totally different that DTS. From what I've seen of SSIS there is a step learing curve from DTS.

You may want to keep in mind that the folks that post on these forums have regular jobs and late in the afternoon isn't the best time to get an instant response.

You should also probably wait more than 8 minutes before complaining that no one is helping you.

Denny

[noevil]

What I under stand your problem is that you need to Append data from a Progress DB to a SQL DB. this is what SSIS is built for. Etxtract from source (Progress), Transform the new data to remove duplicates, Load new records. Getting a book on SSIS is probably your best bet on how to build it but yes it is possible.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Thanks guys. I'm sorry, if you look, i waited 1 day and 8 minutes. So i should probably go with Standard Edition?

David Kuhn
------------------

Yes SQL 2005 standard edition will work fine.

Denny

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back