Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemsbok

Technical User
Apr 11, 2003
ZA
I just bought a new PC, MSI MBoard, 2000mHZ Celeron with FX5600 graphix accelarator, 512 mb ram with Win98 SE. Whenever I run 3d games the PC stops responding after a while. The sound also freezes at the point where the PC stops responding. Can anybody help me please.

I doubt that a motherboard that old can supply enough voltage to the newer AGP cards.

Just like BX2 motherboards couldn't use TNT2 or higher cards because of voltage.

Check the manufacturer's website on the motherboard. However, I will stake my claim to the voltage thing.

Good luck!

Check the directx diagnostics to see if there are any conflicts. Edemiere, you may well be right, but how old can his mainboard be? It supports a celeron 2 ghz, and I don't see where he says what model it is, he just says its a MSI motherboard...

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

A couple of possibilities:

1. PC is overheating
[tab]- monitor the temperature closely
2. Driver conflicts
[tab]- uninstall/reinstall sound & video card drivers
[tab]- make sure you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website
3. Too much RAM
[tab]- Believe it or not, some systems with 512MB or more have problems (in Win9x/ME)
[tab]- Try lowering the amount to less than 512MB if you have more than one stick of RAM
[tab]- more info available upon request

[tab]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back