Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

not recognizing 320gig hd ??? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapster

Technical User
May 12, 2006
US
i bought a new wd 320 ide/ata100 hd and when i installed it ... the bios saw it ....xp loaded up and then it said .. found new hardware and ready to install on the bottom right corner and i was like ok. then i opened my computer and the new hd isnt there. Right now i have a 320 gig sata and a 160gig ide drive in there. i put the new hd as master and the 160 as slave. the sata has the os. and i dont know what to do. i checked for driver updates and nothing. someone please help me i need this i only have 2 gigs left of storage =(

The drive needs to be partitioned and formatted. Start, Run..., diskmgmt.msc

Be aware that XP Disk Management limits FAT32 partition creation to 32GB maximum, but will support partitions of greater sizes created by other means. XP's NTFS support does not have this limitation.

i went to run diskmanagement thing but the thing is that it doesnt see it there... i only see my other 2 drives. any way around this... it sees it in hardware devices but not there. When im in my computer its not there.. any help =\

wait i minute... i got it to work i think with that thanks man really appreciate it its formating now if it doesnt work i'll be back lol thanks

Is there a setting in the BIOS that allows for enhanced drive channels, like SATA and IDE? Mine is like that---can choose one IDE and 2 SATA channels, one of each, or enhanced, all channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back