Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Receiving Vmail Messages or Dictation to Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

atdjr123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2012
US
I am having an issue with vmail messages not being routed to email account. The messages were being routed successfully at one time but stopped. Email status is enabled for this extension. I have checked with providers and port 25 is not blocked for either outlook or internet. Also, I have checked logs and I'm able to follow the calls progress through to the point of Vmail goodbye. I don't see where it routes out to email address. I have also used the dictation service and have checked the the logs and I can see where it routes the dictation to the email address but the dictation is not in my outlook...I have also deactivated firewall just in case it was blocking. So it appears that messages form my vmail are not being routed to outlook and even though dictation service is routing to email address, I don't receive them....Any thoughts

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Make sure the Remote SMTP Delivery is turned ON and properly set up. Since it worked before, my first guess is somehow this is turned OFF.

The parameter 'Domain' specifies the default host to send mail. In the case of SMTP, specify a domain, host, [host] or [address]; the form [host] turns off MX lookups.

Domain = [gateway.my.domain]
Domain = uucphost
Domain = [an.ip.add.ress]

I use a gmail account I created for this purpose and use smtp.gmail.com which uses Port 587. This eliminates the need for Port 25. The GMAIL is basically a Relay Agent anyway.
Hope this helps!
Bill

Hey UCXNortel, I was instructed that it should be turned off so that messages can be routed to their respective email accounts via port 25. However. I will try you config because I can see the MX lookups in the msg logs. Thanks

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

atdjr123, I tried using Port 25 and while the UCx doesn't block that port, my ISP does. So that is why I chose to use GMAIL, and GMAIL was easier than Yahoo or Hotmail. Here is what I did:

1. Create an account GMAIL atdjr123@gmail.com (sample)
2. In the UCx at the Remote SMTP tab :
SMTP Server: GMAIL
Domain: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Username: atdjr123@gmail.com
Password; xxxxxxxx
Then set your e-mail destination in the UCx for your regular e-mail account and NOT the GMAIL account. Also, make sure Port 587 is NOT blocked by your firewall\router or ISP.

Again, I hope this helps. I have been involved with UCx for quite awhile and prior to that, I was at Nortel for 18 years in the Norstar ITAS Tech Support group as the Staff Engineer and then moved to BCM where I was a second tier support for the Sales Engineers and advanced issues. I know the guys at E-Metrotel because I worked with many of the while we are all at Nortel. I am sold on UCx and that is the ONLY system we sell, so that should speak something for the product itself.
Our website is in my signature.

Hey UCXNortel, I already had a gmail account set up and so I used it. It worked and is a good way around, Thanks. However, that doesn't resolve the problem should I encounter it with a customer. I have checked the mail logs and can see the attempts to connect to the Mail Exchange but it times out. This happens on all email accounts. I've also noticed in the mail logs attempts to connect with an email account that is not attached to this particular extension. Definitely a head scratcher!!!!!!

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Microsoft Exchange many time utilizes Port 25 by default. I have seen this at other customer locations. I used the GMAIL as a workaround. I simply created a GMAIL account for the customer and populated the required fields outlined in the last post. Since the end user will use their OWN e-mail address and NOT the GMAIL address, the messages aren't stored in the GMAIL account and the GMAIL is basically acting as a Relay Agent for the process.
Works like a charm!

UCXNortel, that does work as a good way around and will have to be the alternative...Thanks I do appreciate the feedback. I have a tendency to want things to work as they are outlined so I guess when they don't we have to find a way around. OH yeah, by the way,Nice Resume..smiles

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Don't believe your ISP for a second when they tell you they are not blocking port 25! Especially if your ISP is Rogers or Shaw.

If you want to know for sure, call them and ask them how much it is to turn on access to port 25. Betcha they come back and tell you $100.00..

If it worked for a while before, they probably found out you were getting thru without paying for it and blocked you. You wouldn't be the first one they did it to.

Many ISP's block port 25 because of hackers, malware,etc. I actually prefer the GMAIL method over port 25 because NO MESSAGES are stored in Google GMAIL accounts IF you are using the customer e-mail address and NOT the GMAIL address. The GMAIL is simply a relay agent. Now IF you can get the Exchange Server to use a different port than port 25, you may can get this to work. But again, GMAIL is much simpler and it does work!

I have reconciled that the Gmail account is less of a headache and I can use the same account repeatedly.....It's a viable alternative and is hassle free as Ucxnortel says. It's just a relay agent to the customers email account. Works well!!! Thanks again..

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back