Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not receiving Emails too..... But can send instantly ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

araspa

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2003
AU
Hi all,

Running Nt4 SP6a (SBS 4.5) Exch 5.5 sp4
I can send mail and it gets sent almost instantly but I cant recieve.

MCSE but pretty green with exchange 5.5 so if you kinda spell it out that would be great!!

I checked with the ISP and there is mail backing up there on their backup server.

MY ISP doesnt support ETRN.

Is there any manual way of telling the server to check and retrieve email if any is at the server?

Also where is do you set the time interval (ie how long before it goes and checks) the ISP?

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony,

Need some more info....
What kind of connection do you have with your ISP?
Are they forwarding the mails to your mailserver IP?
Can they telnet your server IP on port 25?
Was it working before and stopped now ?
Georgye

Click on your "Connections" icon in Exchange and open up the properties on "Internet Mail Service".
In there goto the "Connections" tab. Inside this you should make sure you have the transfer mode set to "inbound and outbound".

If this is all ok, try setting the "Accept Connections" option to "from any host". This shouldnt be too much of a problem as long as you have a firewall in place.

If none of the above works/applies then take a look at the &quot;Routing&quot; tab. Make sure that all SMPT mail that is sent to your domain name is rerouted to <inbound>.

Hope all this helps.

Sean.

First question, do you have a fixed IP address?
If so, is your port 25 open?
If so, have your ISP or domain supplier create an MX record for you, point to your public IP.
If you have a router and/or firewall, open and forward port 25 to the internal IP of your Exchange server.
Done.
A lot of if's, but if they are all yes, then you are set to go ;-)

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks Seanos, its already set up like you mention.

gmathews & Marcs41 to answer your questions ... we have only a dialup connection on this server, port 25 is open through the firewall to a specific IP address of the ISP's (checked its still the same). The our server sits with a static IP adress on the internet as mail.XXXX.com.au if for some reason it goes offline, it mail will store at our ISP 'backup' server and get passed to us when it discovers out server back online.

The problem started 2 days ago ... I havent ruled out internet/ISP conditions as the MIMAIL and DOOM virus has been pretty active (only hit in the last 2 days). But the isp says that mail is sitting arounds 60,000 messages and at times of congestion its 10 x that amount.

Lost

Anthony

PS : Got all mail overnight (again) 2nd day in a row.

You have a dialup on a server for so much mail????

That also means you probably do NOT have your fixed IP, and the MX record is NOT pointing to your server but to the ISP, which hosts your e-mail.

Would you not consider going cable, DSL or leased line?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back