Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not playing video properly...vista pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

pw75

Instructor
Sep 14, 2008
GB
I work in IT, but this is annoying me now! My home PC, running vista will not display video. Sound is fine. Using GSpot the codec (XVid) says its installed (avi file). I reinstalled DirectX10 as recommended on another post. These video's were working fine before I tried to cull a few broken codecs using DSF Manager.

To go back in time...... I started this process off, because I have a Canon HF10 camcorder which records files in AVCHD (m2ts files). Canon supply software from pixela which had stopped displaying correctly, despite uninstalls and reinstalls. I therefore tried to fix the codecs etc that were reported broken in sherlock2 and if anything it has made it worse. ( I may of been ruthless on the codec cleaning front)

Apart from directx 10, I have uninstalled reinstalled vista codec package.

Windows Media (wmv) files are now working fine, but files needing divx (avi's) will not play video, just sound.

If I can A) get my avi's working that would be great because I edit quite a few videos, and B) get m2ts files working in pixela I would be very happy and very grateful.

Any more info please let me know.

As I said, it has all been working at some stage.

With thanks

Why not install the Klite codec pack?

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Simon

Thanks, yes I had done this as well. Interestingly when I installed Klite it recommended removing vista codecs wmv stopped playing but it didn't get the avi's working.

I bit the bullet and did a system restor back to previous day and it started working, phew, but now I feel I know less about codecs then when I started.....

Anyone had any experience of when codecs are installed, g spot says everythings compatible yet it refuses to display?

Interestingly pixela started working at the same time, but menus all in japanese. Reinstalled that.... and it stopped working. Anyway, normal vids work so thats fine.... just need the software world to catch on to AVCHD is here to stay. I hear adobe premiere elements 7 out next month has support for that so will wait and see what their viewer is like and I'll mail pixela tech support.

I will keep browsing this thread if anyone wants to share their codec knowledge on these matters..

Thanks

ok, an update. Things have just got worse!

For some reason video stopped playing again. Did a system restore back to my manual point I made once everything was working, and guess what, it still doesn't work.

Whats worse is once I did the system restore, it played video for 60 seconds, and then went blank, and now refuses to play anymore. What on earth is causing this.....

Please, any ideas?

okay, the codec thing may of been a red herring. When PC is first booted up, video works, but you can hear it still loading config and bits and bobs. By the time it has finished loading, video then goes blank.

Dell PC, but monitor is DELL plug and play. I will search out the drivers. I did have spyder express colour profile installed, but have uninstalled this. ATI radeon HD2400 pro graphics card.

This is my next area to search.... hopefully this should find me a resolution....

ok, believe I have fixed it. Disabled the ATI software from loading on start up and it works fine. Never really used it... Am I missing out on anything or should I download latest? Anyway, both video programs working and it wasn't the codecs....g spot wasn't lying after all.

Thought I'd update the thread for benefit of others that sometimes codecs aren't always the cause of video not working.

Phew, sanity returned.

Used autoruns to disable program for reference to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back