Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Enough Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

homer02

MIS
Aug 13, 2005
US
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about Excel 2000. User tried to open 2 large Excel files (each of the file is about 12MB) to work on because she need to copy some information from one to another. The first file she opened was okay, but she tried to open the second file, Excel gave an error like: Not enough memory. These two files have Macro enable. I know that the machine she works on is good enough to run Excel. Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM. Please help. Thanks.

What about opening the one she could open, copying the data, closing and opening the other one? The data will stay on the clipboard once it is pasted there.

Frank kegley

Hi Frank,

The question is she cannot open two files at the same time. She can open one, but when she open another one the error message comes up. The way you suggest is okay but she has to copy a lot of rows and columns. If she does the way you suggest, it would take her too long to work on it. Any ideas why the error message comes up? Thanks.

Toan Pham

Did she try right-clicking the worksheet tab and using the "move or copy" option?

André

What else is open, if anything?

Gerry

You could always try this in SAFE MODE to ensure that the barest of system resources are being used while you try to do the copy.

Here's something to try.

[ul]
[li]Open the first file with Excel.[/li]
[li]Start a second copy of Excel (Start Menu -> Excel)[/li]
[li]Open the second file in the second copy of Excel. (File->Open)[/li]
[/ul]
This workaround is effective on my machine (Windows 2000, Office 2000). Each copy of Excel gets its own memory space. However, maybe you should consider moving these files to Access.

See also thread68-947957. Apparently Excel suffers from various memory limitations, and after a certain point, it doesn't help to have more system memory.

Best Regards,
Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back