Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Enough Memory For File Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

baseballgem

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
US
Occasionally I get the message "Not Enough Memory For File Map". It happens only when I do a lot of processing involving backend SQL. Massive data (but under 1 gig) gets imported, then I alter table... then there is a delete where, then a "pack" is issued.

Today when the program crashed, I get the offending message upon a Pack. When I suspended ( I hear a lot of busy I/O in the hard drive then the cursor is at the command window - few seconds.)

Then if I issue the "Pack" Viola It works.

The computer I am using for this app is the "FASTEST" in the house 3GHZ Processor 1G ram. Ironically when I run the program on a slower processor I never get the offending statement. I have occasionally got it when I issue an "Index on <Field> tag Fldname". Now the databases are quite large 885 Meg to 1.2 Gig. I'm at a loss. What gives?

Two things to try after each of the heavy duty file operations try issuing either:

SYS(1104)

or

FLUSH

boyd.gif

[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

You need to set your available memory. This is documented behavior, but usually happens under Server OSs.

Use the code in faq184-3504 How to speed-up your VFP Application? to set your usable memory.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back