Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not enough disk or memory space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syerston

Programmer
Jun 2, 2001
GB
Would anyone know why I keep getting an error message "Cannot change data types, not enough disk or memory space" when I try to change a field size on one of my Access tables.

I initally thought it was my PC so I ran it on one of our NT servers which has more than adequate memory and processing power, but it comes back with the same message.

The database is quite large at 80 mb with the table holding 700 000 records.

John

Try compact and repair to see if that will fix the problem. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

No, unfortunately I have tried this but to no avail. John

In this situation, Access will look for AT LEAST 2X the database size of free swap file space, in this case around 160MB or more, for the reorganization. It sounds like you think you have a lot, but by the time Access starts to mess with things, the available swap file is not large enough. How much available swap file is left once you start Access and open the database?

Remember, you're unique - just like everyone else
You're invited to visit another free Access forum:
or my site,

Apparently the Compact and Repair ran successfully but you still encounter the error. You may need to close other programs to free memory. Sometimes, you just have to reboot and clear out memory. This is a Windows 'Feature.' Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

How large are you trying to make the field size? What type of field are you changing. A text field can only hold so much data, 255 I believe in Access97. You may need a memo if you are attempting to expand a text field beyond its capacity.

mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back