Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Decting Proxy Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2002
US
I have a compaq deskpro cp4000 and I am having problems connecting to the internet using Internet Explorer of using avant browser. I am connected to a peer to peer network and I am able to see the network OK. Every time I try to connect it just keeps trying to dect proxy settings and does not find msn.com to or any other site to connect to.
I have re-installed the network card, then replaced a the card with another one, reinstalled win98 and IE and I am still unable to connect to the Internet.

Does anyone have a solution.

You need to have a proxy server running on the machine that is directly connected to the internet and then change your browser settings under internet options/connections/lan settings to the ip address and port# of the proxy. There is also windows "internet connection sharing " I've never used it myself, I've heard that it can be hard to get working. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You can get free proxy server software from
I have used it in the past and it works pretty good.
The easiest way to set up internet sharing would probably be to buy a 4 port cable/dsl router. they are pretty cheap nowadays and not hard to set up.
Hope this info is helpfull
RocKeRFelerZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back