Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NOT connecting to another computer using DUN -help pl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigi1

Technical User
Mar 5, 2001
IN
I want to connect up to my office computer and download files.
Configured win-98 DUN on office and home computer, setting server type as 'PPP: internet win NT win 98'.
When I dial up, it goes up to verifying username/password, then drops off giving aerror message to check my dialup settings.
both computers are running win 98.
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM and HOW CAN I ENSURE connecting up to transfer files ?
Thanks

Hey!

Sorry, but this cannot be done. You will need a server to do this for you (one running RAS or VPN). Contact your system administrator at the office to determine how to do this.

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Acheiver with Security Emphasis

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given and if you like my advice, please mark it as helpful.

It CAN be done as long as you have the DUN Server component that comes with the MS Plus pack. Set one of the computers up configured as the server and dial into it with the other.

Reference the MS articles below:

Q139710 , Q145843

Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Sorry about that... had never heard of the DUN server with the Plus pack...

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Acheiver with Security Emphasis

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given and if you like my advice, please mark it as helpful.

Yep, and it works pretty well too. I used to use it all the time when I would be a home and need something I'd just call my computer at work and get it.

Thanks for the replies, but my problem has not been addressed.
webmaster999 says it requires VPN etc. But the dialup networking in Win-98 has a menu item called connections and the last item of the menu is dial-up server. Clicking on it gives u a dialog box in which there is the option 'allow caller access'. Once enabled the dial-up server is activated and anyone can dial up into the computer and access it like on a network.
Looks like most people are not aware of this, or is my awareness wrong?
Looking up books give the same info. In fact I am able to dial into the computer, only, after going to stage of verifying username and password, it disconnects giving error message to verify my dial up properties.
does anyone have a solution to this?
thanks
Tigi

Tigi,

My only other suggestion would be to check the settings at the office for what protocol it is using, and whether it is using PPP, SLIP, etc. Then at home, match the settings on the dial-up connection. Also, I would think that you might want to set the home computer to obtain a DHCP IPA instead of assigning a static one. If that doesn't work, try assinging a static one that is in the same range and on the same subnet as the one at the office. Beyond that, I wouldn't know. I have always been told you couldn't do that so I am interested to find out if you get it working. I always just use VPN and RAS.

Tried out all possiblities, no success. Finally loaded WIN2k on the office computer. Could dial in from my home computer. The connection holds. However, as per the book, my office computer should appear in my network neighbourhood. This is not happening. WHY ARE THE SHARES ON THE COMPUTER NOT APPEARING even after connecting up via DUN ?
Will be greatful for any help.
Tigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back